Have you ever experienced you are Washing Machines smelling like Rotten Eggs? There may be different reasons behind this smell. This may be due to the soap’s scum, dirt, or any sock that is stuck inside.
Removing this smell from the washing machine is very easy. You can do it using many ways like a quick scrub and running a washer with hot water or you can use vinegar. There are many other ways you can use to prevent these smells to happen in the future.
- It is very embarrassing to open your washing machine and it starts spreading smells on your face. This indicates that the washing machine needs to be cleaned. If this is not done, then your clothes will start smelling like Rotten Eggs and people around you start feeling uncomfortable. You can eliminate this. You can do it by yourself or you can hire any specialist. The first thing to understand here is what are the causes.
What are the reasons that your Washing Machines smelling like Rotten Eggs?
It is not possible to hold your breath every time whenever you pass through your laundry room. Several reasons cause this smell.
- Drain or venting problem
If your machine has a problem with drainage, the water has a vending problem which may be the reason for the smell. You can hire a professional to get rid of this problem.
- Low washing temperature
If you love to wash your clothes at a low temperature, then it will create a perfect environment for the bacteria to grow and after a few days or a week, it starts automatically smelling.
- Wrong detergent
It is very common to use a different detergent than recommended by the brand. If you are using the non-HE detergent for the front load washing machine, then it will create a soap builds that creates bacteria.
- The door was left close mostly
If the door of your washer is left closed mostly, then it will create a warm and moist environment that will help the bacteria to multiply very quickly and create a smell.
- One of the major reasons for the smell coming from your front-load washing machine is often due to the build-up of dust, mold, or even from soap. Whenever you put your clothes in the washing machine, the dirt, lint, or hair gets trapped in the seal, gasket, or detergent dispenser. It starts smelling slowly when bacteria start growing.
- Sometimes socks might caught in the seal of the washer. when it starts growing the bacteria, and mold gives us the smell of Rotten Eggs.
- One more possibility that is very less common is that there may be a leakage of gas. As we know natural gas has no smell, so it is important to detect whether the smell is suspicious that is leaking from the washing machine or something else.
Call immediately the gas company. The gas leaking from the washing machine may be dangerous if left unattended. If that odor is reaching your nose, check it out immediately. You can also rule out the possibility of a gas leak and you can fix that. It is recommended to hire an expert for hassle free work.
How to fix the smell in your washer?
If your Washing Machines smelling like Rotten Eggs, the most common solution is to scrub and then do a water and vinegar rinse.
The solution is working for both whether your washing machine is a front load or a top load. If you are using LG washing machine, then you can visit this.
For a front-load washing
- The very first thing you have to check is the seal that is made from rubber. You have to check the build-up of the soap. Check whether there is anything that might trap there. It may be socks or any other cloth.
- The next thing is, to use a Rag and take a solution of one part water and one part vinegar. We need to clean it very well. You may require little elbow grease.
- When you are done with cleaning, add 1/3 cup of baking soda and one cup of white vinegar to the detergent drain.
- In the last, run the machine on the largest and hottest setting. It will surely work for removing the Rotten smell from the washing machine.
For top load washer
- The very first thing, you should always have to open the door of a washing machine after every wash cycle. This is important because the fresh air goes inside and it will dry the drum and reduce the possibility of creating mold and other bacteria.
- Clean the inside of a machine manually. The most important area to clean is the rubber seal. This is important as it will slow down the build-up of dirt and other lint.
- If you are using a top load you should have to Scrub the doors and the Hinges. As these are very popular areas where dirt is trapped. Cleaning the washing machine is not time-consuming, but it will increase the life of the washer.
May be time to change the washer
As we know the average life of a washing machine range from 10 to 15 years depending upon how you are maintaining it and how often you are using it. A washing machine is used to clean heavy clothes like towels and uniforms. It will increase the cost of repairing it by the time you use it. If your washing machine is very old, then it is good to replace it with the new one.
Your washing machine may be dirty
Do you remember the last time when you clean your washing machine? This smell may be coming due to long overdue cleaning. It is good to use an anti-microbial odor eliminator?
- There are many door eliminators available in the market that are made from natural materials and free from chemicals. In this way, you are removing the unwanted odor from your laundry room, and at the same time, you are helping nature.
How to clean your dirty washing machine?
- First of all start with opening the door of the washing machine.
- Run your washer on the hottest setting and the largest load capacity.
- Add one-quarter of bleach to the water.
- When the washer is full of water close the lead and turn it on.
- Leave the washing machine for 1 hour before you turn it on back.
- When the washer cycle is completed then turn it on to the hottest setting in the largest capacity.
- When You start feeling that it is clean then add 3 cups of white vinegar and a half cup of baking soda.
- When the washer is full, then close the lead and turn it on once again after the spin cycle and now open the washer.
- This is why the washing machine is smelling. Whenever it is wet from the inside let it dry out for a couple of hours.
This may be coming from the sewer
One of the most common reasons for why Washing Machine smells like Rotten Eggs may be the drain issue. The drain gas does not smell great but it causes many issues in the washing machine. If you are experiencing any smell coming from the trainer, it may be due to the drainer being clogged.
I will recommend you take the help of an experienced professional to resolve this issue.
How to check the drain plug and filter?
- First of all, find out the location of the drain plug. If you find a plate that has a covered drain, remove it.
- When you see the drain plug, just turn the cap off and keep an old towel with you because some water might come out from there.
- You need to remove the drain filter and clean the remove the drain plug. Now clean the filter and drain plug with hot water and soap water. Clean the area where the filter and drain plug is located.
- Use the hot water and a mixture of white vinegar, then clean the drain of the washing machine. This water will drain out through the hole.
- Once you are finished with the cleaning, fit all the things back. If your washing machine is still smelling after this cleaning, you might need a cleaning cycle.
Sometimes, Something stuck in the door seal
Another reason to check why Washing Machines smelling like Rotten Eggs is, sometimes something stuck in the door of the washing machine. This mostly happens in the front load washer that has a rubber seal located right inside the door. The door seal is the area where most of the small items like socks get caught and if these clothes are left there for several days, they start developing bacteria and then start smelling.
- Whenever you suspect that something usual smell is coming from your washer, please do a proper checkup whether it is coming from the seal of the door or not. If you found any clothes take them out immediately. Remove that and sanitize that area to remove the bacteria. Always use a plant-based surface cleaner for the washing machine.
How to check whether the door has anything stuck or not?
- First of all, pull the door back and look inside. If there is any cloth item left or if you find anything, remove that immediately.
- Take hot water and soapy water. Then give it a very nice cleaning.
- After this cleaning, leave the door open until it gets dry.
Mold or bacteria
Mold is another reason for the rotten smell coming from your washer. We know any place wherever we found high humidity, mold, and other fungi, bacteria flourish very well. If it is a darker place, this is one of the best environment bacteria love. If your washer is located in the basement area, it is important to do regular cleaning. Use an air purifier and dehumidifier. It is very easy to clean and use anti-microbial to eliminate bacterias.
Check for any crack or leaky pipe
Another reason for this smell may be due to a crack or a Leaky pipe that is connecting your washing machine to the drainer. This is a very serious issue because it creates dangerous gases and these gases start smelling.
If your washing machine smells like Rotten Eggs ever, then the reason might be buildup of sulfur in the water. This can be caused by using hard water, overdue cleaning of the machine, or using too much detergent. To fix the problem, you’ll need to clean your washing machine and use a water softener. If you have hard water, it is a must to use a water softener. With these simple solutions, you can get rid of that rotten egg smell for good! Thanks for reading.
You can read my other article here.