In traditional times, Washing cloth is very tedious and hard work with hands that takes a lot of time. But today, we have appliances that help us to ease our laundry work. We use a washing machine. So a washing machine is an appliance that is used to wash dirty clothes and clean them. To use it, fill the water, switch it ON and start rotating then add detergent. It has a motor that removes dirt from clothes. You need to put no physical effort to wash clothes in fully automatic washing machines.
It is also known as a washer or cloth washer. It is an automatic appliance that needs no supervision. It automatically takes detergent and water. It set up the timer automatically according to we choice option for cloth type. It makes our household work easy. A washing machine is suitable for especially big families and for those who remain busy.
Parts of a Washing Machine
- An inner drum is a drum in which you put clothes for washing. It has holes to get water and drain water.
- Paddles It is attached to the edges of the washing machine and move the clothes when washing is ongoing.
- Agitator, You can find agitators in top-loading machines. It is attached in the center. It behaves like handwashing clothes.
- Outer drum This drum holds the water when washing is going on, it makes sure to prevent leakage of water.
- Thermostat and heating elementor Thermostat is a kind of sensor that senses how much water is hot and the heating element heat the water.
- Pump It is used to remove water after the washing is finished.
- Programmer It is responsible t controlling the machine.
- Pipes and valves It is for water in and out.
Types of Washing Machines
- Fully Automatic washing machine
- Front Loading washing machine
- Top Loading washing machine
- Washer and dryer combo
- Semi-automatic washing machine
- Integrated washing machine
- Stackable washing machine
- Portable or compact washing machine
Fully Automatic Washing Machine
The fully automatic washing machine comes in two types
- Front Load top Loading washing machine
- Top Loading washing machine
Front Load Washing Machine
Front-load washing machines are those in which clothes are put inside the machine for washing from the front door or window. It is suitable if you have a small space in your home, kitchen, or laundry area. It can manage load easily. It is possible using a front-load washing machine to make it stackable with a dryer to save space. Its interior is large enough to hold heavy and bulky clothes. So it is good for a large load. It cleans the clothes without any cleaning sacrifice.
Front-load washing machine is efficient among all types of machines. It uses less water and electricity, and detergent than others. It can be used for household and industrial use. According to the clothes quantity, it takes to water and detergent then wash the clothes, rinse and dry them. It has the highest spinning tumble speed which is 1200 RPM. It removes moisture in a very good manner. It does not have an agitator so minimum wear and tear of clothes.
- It has the highest performance among all types of machines.
- It is very gentle on the clothes.
- Its spinning speed is very fast i.e. 1200 RPM.
- It can be stacked. for space saving.
- You can keep it under the counter.
- If your height is short, This one is the best.
- It consumes less power.
- It uses less water and detergent.
- It cleans the clothes better than a top-load machine.
- it produces less noise.
- It comes with many luxurious features.
- It has a very attractive glass window-type door that enhances its beauty.
- Front-load machines are costly. Its initial cost may affect your budget.
- You need to bend to use it. If you have back related problem then you may feel a problem.
- Its door is start smelling odor if kept closed after washing clothes.
- It has a long washing time.
- It requires machine cleaning more frequently.
- It has no soak functionality for clothes before washing.
Top Loading Washing Machine
Top loading is used to wash clothes by loading dirty clothes from the top. It is very popular in Indian houses and it’s quite pocket friendly and energy saving but not as front load machine is. It is very easy to use. You just have to select the function and start working automatically. It has many models that are available in the market. It uses an agitator that is placed in the center that mimics as we wash clothes with our hands. But the agitator damages the clothes with wear and tear. It is not suitable for delicate fabric.
It has good quality washing clothes and it has a very large space to wash even quilts and blankets. Most top-load machines’ legs are adjustable. It has a coin trap that catches unwanted laundry clothes objects. If you have a back problem you need not bend to use it. It takes less space and is easy to use. If you load it too much then its washing results are not that good.
- It has a small washing cycle.
- It is simple to use and control.
- Its price is less than the front load machine.
- It is slim so takes less space.
- Its cost is also lower than the front load machine.
- You can adjust the water level.
- Quality of cleaned clothes is good.
You can add clothes in the mid of the cycle.
- It is noisier than a front-load machine.
- It takes more water.
- It cannot be stacked.
- It uses more electricity than a front-load machine.
- It takes more time to complete one cycle than a front-load washing machine.
Semi-Automatic Washing Machine
This kind of machine is semi-automatic because it can wash clothes automatically as fully automatic machines do, But it requires human efforts to take out clothes from the washing tub for doing a manual hand wash to rinse and then put clothes back into the spinner. It requires water to be filled manually. It does not have any special, advanced functionality according to the fabric.
It requires more water and a lot of water waste. It uses more energy, So increases your monthly electricity bill. It requires more space as it is bulky and produces more noise. You have to set a separate timer for washing and spinning.
- Semi-Automatic washing machines are cheaper than fully automatic washing machines.
- It has a small washing time.
- It is light in weight.
- It requires less power.
- Its maintenance is very low.
- Its capacity is good to wash big and large clothes.
- It is bulky so needs a large space.
- It requires manual work. It cannot remove stubborn stains.
- You need to scrub clothes after or before washing them.
- it uses an agitator so rough to the clothes.
- It does not come with advanced features.
Combo Washer Dryer
It is also known as a washer-dryer. As its name implies that it comes in a combo that has both a washer and dryer in a single cabinet. It is not stackable. Washers and dryers are compact so can be used in small houses, kitchen cabinets, and urban small areas. It takes up half the space. It is capable of handling different types of fabric but not as efficient as fully automatic machines.
It washes and dries the clothes in one cycle. You take clothes from machines and you are ready to wear. If you use two machines one for washing and the other for drying then it costs you more, But this combo is cost effective. It has more features like a smart sensor, Wi-Fi, and steam settings.
- Its drum is designed in such a way that it is gentle on clothes.
- It is easy to use.
- If you want to only wash or only dry then you can do this.
- Its cost is the same.
- It is used in houses where space is a big issue.
- Its washing quality is the same as other machines have.
- It dries clothes in a single batch in less quantity.
- It’s time to wash and dry time is longer.
- It uses more water.
- As you know it is capable of steam too. So the steam cost is high.
- It is very less reliable.
- You can add clothes in between the wash cycle.
Portable and Compact
This machine is also known as a mini machine as it is very small in size as compared to other types of machines. Its size is about a bucket. You can easily hide this machine in the kitchen cabinet or in the store room easily. It is transparent so that you can watch it. It is very cheaper than the front and top-load machines. It consumes less power and space. If it is working clockwise that means it is washing clothes. If it is working anti-clockwise that means it is drying the clothes. It removes the stain very clearly. It saves money for you if time is not an issue.
- Its setup is simple.
- It is easy and very convenient to use.
- It is flexible.
- It is portable.
- Its cost is low.
- It takes up less space.
- It saves money and water for you.
- It requires a lot of human effort to complete the washing.
- Its small size restricts you that you cannot wash clothes in large quantities.
How to use a Portable Machine
- Gather the clothes you want to wash.
- Pour water into the bucket.
- Plug it.
- Add detergent and put on clothes.
- Then start washing. When one cycle is completed, drain water into the tub and add more water.
- Set the timer and start it.
- Drain the water and clean clothes are ready to spin. Turn it ON and start spinning.
- Take out the spinning clothes.
Stackable Washing Machines
A Stackable washing machines come in the stacked form means the washer is on the bottom and the dryer on top. It takes up less space. As most homes are always out of space, so stackable machine is the solution. Sometimes this combo has a top-load machine for the dryer on top. In that case, the dryer opens from the backside.
- It takes up less space.
- It is energy efficient.
- Its cleaning is easy for the washer.
- It can be easily hidden.
- It is enough gentle on clothes.
- It is expensive. So everyone can’t afford it.
- You cannot load more clothes.
- It is easy for a back problem.
- It is flexible to use.
- Sometimes, some clothes are lost in the dryer on top. You need to manually search for those.
- It has more maintenance.
- It has fewer features than other types of machines.
Front Load v/s Top Load Washing Machine
|Features||Front Load||top Load|
|Better Cleaning||Yes||More than Front load|
|Wash Cycle||Faster (30 Minutes)||Slower(60 Minutes)|
|Spin Cycle||1200 RPM||700-900 RPM|
|Convinience||Not good for back problem people.||Convinient|
|Maintenance||More Frequent||Not Frequent0|
|Efficiency||Uses 200 gallon less water per year||Use more water|
|Energy Efficient||Yes||More Energy Consume|
A washing machine is an appliance that is used to clean dirty clothes. There are many washing machines but front-load washing machines are the best as it consumes less energy, less water, less detergent, and are stylish too. top load washing machines are also good for large families. Portable machines are good if you travel a lot or have a moving job.
You can read my other articles on other useful and smart appliances here.
Thank you for reading my Blog.